16. Remove the pivot pins.
NOTE: There may be flat washers installed between
1. Remove all dirt from the hose connections at the
the boom and the swing tower, These flat washers fill
backhoe control valve.
the gaps between the boom and the swing tower.
2. Start the engine and run the engine at 1000 rpm
The flat washers also keep the boom centered in the
(r/min). Roll the bucket in all the way. Extend the
swing tower. Put identification tags on these flat
dipper and the boom as far as possible in the
washers so that they can be returned to the same
space that is available. Lower the bucket to the
locations during installation.
floor and stop the engine.
17. Carefully move the machine away from the
3. Fasten acceptable lifting equipment to the boom
and dipper pivot area to prevent the boom and
18. Remove the snap ring and the flat washer(s)
the dipper from falling when the boom is free of
from one end of the pivot pin for the rod eye of
the swing tower.
each swing cylinder.
4. Move the backhoe control levers in both
19. Use a hammer or hydraulic ram and an
directions to relieve any pressure in the circuits.
acceptable driver to remove the pivot pins from
5. Disconnect the hoses from the backhoe control
the swing tower.
valve and fasten an identification tag to each
20. Remove the snap ring and the flat washer(s)
from one end of the pivot pin for the boom latch.
6. Install a cap on each fitting and a plug in each
21. Drive the pivot pin out of the swing tower.
22. Move the boom latch out of the way.
7. Remove the hardware which fastens the vertical
clamps near the center of the swing tower.
23. Remove the snap ring and the flat washer(s)
Remove the vertical clamps.
from the bottom of the bottom pivot pin for the
8. On 580 Super M and 590 Super M machines,
there is a horizontal clamp to the rear of the
24. Fasten acceptable lifting equipment to the swing
vertical clamps. The 580M does not have this
tower to hold the swing tower when the pivot pins
clamp. If your machine has this clamp, remove
the hardware and the clamp.
25. Use a hammer or hydraulic ram and an
9. Write an identification number on each clamp
acceptable driver to remove the bottom pivot pin.
ring so that you can install the hoses in the
26. Remove the snap ring and the flat washer(s)
correct places during installation.
from the top of the top pivot pin for the swing
10. Fasten acceptable lifting equipment to the boom
cylinder to hold the boom cylinder when the pivot
27. Use a hammer or hydraulic ram and an
pin is removed.
acceptable driver to remove the top pivot pin.
11. Remove the snap ring and the flat washer(s)
28. Remove the swing tower from the frame.
from one end of the pivot pin for the boom
NOTE: Record the number and locations of any flat
washers or shims that are found between the swing
12. Drive the pivot pin out of the swing tower.
tower and the frame so that the flat washers or shims
13. Lower the boom cylinder until the boom cylinder
can be returned to the correct locations during
rests on the boom. Remove the lifting equipment.
14. Fasten acceptable lifting equipment to the boom
to hold the boom when the pivot pins are
15. Remove the bolts, the hardened washers, and
the spacers that hold the pivot pins for the boom.
Printed in U.S.A.