Actuating Valve - Internal valve in the bearing cap of the steering gear. It is actuated by the steering wheel
through the yoke connection of the steering column.
Back Pressure - Circulating pressure of the steering system.
Base Mounted Gear - The steering gear is mounted to the frame rail or bracket utilizing the eight mounting
holes opposite the sector shaft cover.
Bearing Cap - End cap of the steering gear that houses the input shaft and valve.
Bearing Cap Cover - Small cover on the end of the bearing cap of the steering gear. The bearing cap cover
houses the input shaft oil and salt seal.
Bleeder Screw - 1/8" allen screw located in the sector shaft bore of the steering gear.
Cavitation - Bubbles that form in the oil which keep the pump from supplying pressure and volume.
Cylinder Bore - Long bore of the steering gear where the steering gear piston is housed.
10. Cylinder Head - The end cap of the steering gear bolted on the housing opposite the actuating shaft end
of the gear.
11. Displacement - The volume of fluid that can pass through a pump or cylinder in a single revolution or stroke.
12. Feedback - A transfer of energy from the output of a device to its input.
13. Fluid Flow - The stream or movement of a fluid, or the rate of its movement.
14. Piston - Found in the cylinder bore. Changes the hydraulic force to mechanical force in the steering gear.
15. Plunger - Slotted pins that are used to limit the travel of the steering gear piston under pressure. Plungers
are located in the cylinder head and bearing cap.
16. Pressure Relief Valve - Optional pressure relief valve integral to the steering gear to limit system operating
pressure. Identified by a large hex nut on the side of the bearing cap.
17. Pump - A device that converts mechanical force and motion into hydraulic fluid power.
18. Rack Teeth - The area on the piston that engages the sector shaft teeth.
19. Recirculating Ball Thread - The area of the rotary valve on which the 24 steel balls travel.
20. Relief Valve - A pressure control valve used to limit system pressure.
21. Sector Shaft - The shaft the pitman arm is attached to.
22. Sector Shaft Bore - Area of the steering gear that houses the sector shaft.
23. Slave Gear - Right hand gear in a dual system application.
24. Slave Ports - Threaded openings in the cylinder head, bearing cap and sector shaft bore to install the pres-
sure lines to operate the slave gear.
25. Tab - Lock Retainer - Bolt assembly used to provide initial torque when installing the pitman arm. Uses
alignment tabs that fit into the pitman arm and restraining tabs to be locked into the head of the retainer.
26. Volume Of Flow - The amount of fluid that passes a certain point in a unit of time. The volume of flow is
usually expressed in gallons per minute for liquids.