B3.9 and B5.9 Series Engines
Section 1 - Cylinder Block - Group 01
Anytime a new camshaft is installed, new tappets and
push tubes must be installed to prevent damage to the
camshaft and tappet surfaces.
· Remove the rocker lever cover. Refer to Procedure
· Remove the rocker levers. Refer to Procedure 003-
· Remove the push tubes. Refer to Procedure 004-
· Remove the drive belt. Refer to Procedure 008-002.
· Remove the vibration damper. Refer to Procedure
001-052 or 001-051.
· Remove the gear cover. Refer to Procedure 001-031.
· Remove the fuel transfer pump. Refer to Procedure
· Raise the tappets. Refer to Procedure 004-015.
Tappet Changing Tool, Part No. 3822513
Insert the wooden dowels through the push tube holes and
into the top of each tappet securely. When properly in-
stalled, the dowels can be used to pull the tappets up and
should not be able to be pulled out without considerable
Pull the tappets up, and wrap a rubber band around the top
of the dowel rods. This will prevent the tappets from drop-