B3.9 and B5.9 Series Engines
Fuel Shutoff Valve (005-043)
Section 5 - Fuel System - Group 05
Tamper-Resistant Screw Removal Tool, Part No. 3399870
· Remove the electrical wiring.
· Remove the fuel drain line. Refer to Procedure 006-
· Remove the throttle and shutoff linkage. Refer to the
OEM service manual.
· Remove tamper-resistant screws using service tool
kit (Cummins Part No. 3399870). Refer to Proce-
dures 005-012 or 005-014.
· Remove the fuel injection pump top cover. Refer to
the Master Repair Manual, Injector Pumps and In-
jectors, Bulletin No. 3666037.
· Disassemble the fuel injection pump top cover. Re-
fer to the Master Repair Manual, Injector Pumps
and Injectors, Bulletin No. 3666037.
Wear protective clothing to avoid personal injury. So-
lenoid surface temperature can exceed 175°C [347°F],
which can cause serious burns to the skin in the event
Solenoid Resistance Check
NOTE: Values are taken at 20°C [68°F] and rated voltage.
Minimum values are for 25-mm [1.00-in] maximum plunger
travel. As the temperature of the solenoid increases, the
voltage and resistance requirements increase, while the
amperage requirements decrease.
Disconnect the wiring harness, and check the solenoid
(0.198 to 0.242)
(10.00 to 12.21)
(0.738 to 0.902
(37.17 to 45.43)
Synchro-start solenoids with a 50.8-mm [2.00-in] diameter
(0.175 to 0.213)
(12.75 to 15.56)
(0.554 to 0.678)
(46.76 to 57.15)