Air Leaks, Air Intake and Exhaust Systems (010-024)
B3.9 and B5.9 Series Engines
Section 10 - Air Intake System - Group 10
Operate the engine at full throttle and rated rpm with maxi-
Listen for a high-pitched whistling noise from the turbo-
charger, nearby piping, and connections.
The noise can be caused by an air leak from the:
1. Turbocharger-to-discharge elbow connection.
· Inspect for damage. Tighten loose clamps.
2. Any charge air cooler tubing or connecting hoses.
· Inspect the hose and tubing for damage.
· Tighten the hose clamps.
· Refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the
3. Turbocharger-to-exhaust-manifold mounting gasket.
· Replace the gasket. Refer to Procedure 010-033.