Starter Solenoid (013-019)
B3.9 and B5.9 Series Engines
Section 13 - Electrical Equipment - Group 13
If the multimeter does not indicate voltage, check the cable
connecting the starter solenoid and battery for breaks.
Also, check for loose or corroded connections.
If the multimeter indicates voltage but the starter will not
operate, check the wire connecting the starter solenoid to
the starter switch for breaks, and also check for loose or
In addition be sure to check for:
· Application engine shutoff systems.
If the wire connecting the starter solenoid and starter switch
is not loose or damaged and the starter will not operate:
· Remove the cable connecting the starter and starter
solenoid from the solenoid terminal.
· Connect the multimeter positive (+) lead to the so-
lenoid positive terminal and the negative (-) lead to
the chassis or an engine ground location.
· Turn the starter switch to the START position.
· If the multimeter indicates voltage, the starter sole-
noid is malfunctioning and must be replaced.