SERVICE BATTERIES CAREFULLY
CAUTION: Battery gas can explode. Keep
sparks and flames away from batteries. Use a
flashlight to check battery electrolyte level.
Never check battery charge by placing a metal
Always remove grounded (-) battery clamp first
and replace it last.
Sulfuric acid in battery electrolyte is poisonous.
It is strong enough to burn skin, eat holes in
clothing, and cause blindness if splashed into
Avoid the hazard by:
1. Filling batteries in a well-ventilated area.
3. Avoiding breathing fumes when electrolyte is
4. Avoiding spilling or dripping electrolyte.
5. Use proper jump start procedure.
If you spill acid on yourself:
1. Flush your skin with water.
2. Apply baking soda or lime to help neutralize
3. Flush your eyes with water for 15--30
minutes. Get medical attention immediately.
If acid is swallowed:
1. Do not induce vomiting.
2. Drink large amounts of water or milk, but do
not exceed 1.9 L (2 quarts).
3. Get medical attention immediately.
If electrolyte spills on the floor, use one of the following
mixtures to neutralize the acid: 0.5 kg (1 lb) baking soda
in 4 L (1 gal) water, or 0.47 L (1 pt) household ammonia
in 4 L (1 gal) water.
Continued on next page