INSPECT METAL FACE SEALS
1. Inspect for the following conditions to determine if seal
rings (A) can be reused:
· The narrow, highly polished sealing area (E) must be
in the outer half of seal ring face (D).
· Sealing area must be uniform and concentric with
the ID and OD of seal ring (A).
· Sealing area must not be chipped, nicked, or
B--Worn Area (Shaded Area)
C--Seal Ring Face
D--Outer Half of Seal Ring Face
E--Sealing Area (Dark Line)
2. Illustration shows examples of worn seal rings (A).
I--Sealing area (D) is in inner half of seal ring face (C).
II--Sealing area (D) not concentric with ID and OD of
B--Wear Area (Shaded Region)
C--Inner Half of Seal Ring Face
D--Sealing Area (Dark Line)
Continued on next page