Engine Rebuild Guide
ENGINE DISASSEMBLY SEQUENCE
13. Remove starting motor. (Group 40)
The following sequence is suggested when complete
disassembly for overhaul is required. Refer to the
14. Remove rocker arm assembly and push rods.
appropriate repair group for removal, inspection and
Keep rods in order (Group 05). Check for bent
repair of individual engine components.
push rods and condition of wear pad contact
surfaces on rockers.
1. Mount engine on a safety approved repair stand.
15. Remove cylinder head. Check piston protrusion.
(Groups 05 and 10).
2. Drain coolant and oil. Perform John Deere
OILSCAN® and CoolScanTM analysis. (Group 02)
16. Remove cam followers. Keep followers in order.
(Groups 05 and 16)
3. Remove fan belts, fan, and belt tensioner. (Group
17. Remove flywheel and flywheel housing. (Group
18. Remove oil pan. (Group 20)
5. Remove turbocharger (if equipped) and exhaust
manifold. (Group 30)
19. Remove crankshaft pulley. (Group 15)
6. Remove rocker arm cover and vent tube. If option
20. Remove timing gear cover. (Group 16)
code label is located on rocker arm cover, be
careful not to damage label. (Group 05)
21. Remove oil pump drive gear, outlet tube, and
pump body. (Group 20)
7. On applications where the water manifold is not an
integral part of cylinder head, remove water
22. Remove timing gears and camshaft. Perform wear
manifold or thermostat housing. (Group 25)
checks. (Group 16)
8. Remove oil cooler piping and water pump. (Groups
23. Remove balancer shafts (4045 engines). (Group
20 and 25)
9. Remove dipstick, oil filter, oil cooler, and adapter
24. Remove engine front plate. (Group 16)
housing (if equipped). (Group 20)
25. Remove oil by-pass valve. (Group 20)
10. Remove oil pressure regulating valve assembly.
26. Stamp cylinder number on connecting rod.
Remove pistons and rods. Perform wear checks
11. Remove fuel filter, fuel supply pump, and fuel line.
with PLASTIGAGE®. (Group 10)
12. Remove injection lines, injection pump, and
injection nozzles. (Group 35)
OILSCAN is a registered trademark of Deere & Company.
CoolScan is a trademark of Deere & Company.
PLASTIGAGE is a registered trademark of the DANA Corp.
Continued on next page