Cylinder Head and Valves
5. Compress valve springs using JDE138 Valve Spring
Compressor (A) and install retainer locks (B) on valve
6. Strike end of each valve three or four times with a soft
mallet (non-metallic) to insure proper positioning of the
7. Recheck valve recess. (See MEASURE VALVE
RECESS IN CYLINDER HEAD, earlier in this group.)
CLEAN AND INSPECT CYLINDER HEAD CAP
1. Clean entire length of cap screws. Use a wire brush
and solvent to remove rust and scale. Dry cap screws
with compressed air.
2. Inspect cap screws for corrosion damage and overall
condition of threads. CAP SCREWS WITH
CORROSION OR OTHER IMPERFECTIONS MUST
INSPECT AND CLEAN EXHAUST MANIFOLD
1. Thoroughly clean all passages and gasket surfaces in
exhaust manifold and exhaust elbow.
2. Inspect entire exhaust manifold for cracks or damage.
Replace parts as necessary.