Cylinder Head and Valves
CLEAN AND INSPECT TOP DECK OF
1. Remove gasket material, rust, carbon, and other
foreign material from top deck. Gasket surface must be
2. Clean threaded holes in cylinder block using JDG680
Tap or any 1/2-13 UNC-2A tap about 76 mm (3.0 in.)
long. Use compressed air to remove debris and fluids
from the cap screw holes. Replace block if there is
evidence of damage.
3. Use compressed air to remove all loose foreign
material from cylinders and top deck.
IMPORTANT: All debris must be cleaned from the
camshaft followers before assembling
4. If not previously done, remove camshaft followers from
block and wash in solvent. Lubricate with clean engine
oil and install in the same bore.
5. Inspect top deck for flatness and serviceability. (See