Cylinder Block, Liners, Pistons and Rods
2. Visually inspect liner ID. Replace piston and liner if:
· The crosshatch honing pattern is not visible
immediately below the top ring turn-around area for
· The hone pattern is not visible all the way around
the liner in over 75 percent of the ring travel area for
naturally aspirated engines.
· Liners are pitted or contain deep vertical scratches
that can be detected by the fingernail.
3. Carefully examine liner for signs of fatigue, such as
fine cracks in the flange area (A) and cracks in the ring
travel area (B).
NOTE: Inspect block for cracks or erosion in the O-ring
packing areas. (See INSPECT AND CLEAN
CYLINDER BLOCK later in this group.)
Cylinder Liner (Exaggerated Defects)
B--Ring Travel Area