1. Remove engine front plate. (See Group 16.)
2. Remove flywheel housing and flywheel. (See REMOVE
FLYWHEEL HOUSING earlier in this group.)
3. Remove main bearing caps and connecting rod caps,
as described earlier in this group.
CAUTION: Crankshaft is very heavy. Plan a
proper handling procedure to avoid injury.
4. Attach a lifting sling to crankshaft. Using proper lifting
equipment, carefully raise crankshaft out of cylinder
5. Clean crankshaft, especially oil passages, using
solvent and compressed air.
6. Place crankshaft on clean V-blocks.
7. If main bearing inserts are to be replaced, remove
inserts from cylinder block. Otherwise, leave bearing
inserts in block until assembled ID has been