Camshaft, Balancer Shafts and Timing Gear Train
2. If idler gear end play, measured earlier in this group,
was out of specification, remove idler shaft and thrust
washer from front plate. (See REMOVE LOWER AND
UPPER IDLER SHAFTS, later in this group.)
3. Check thrust washer for wear.
4. Measure idler gear hub width and shaft width. Replace
worn parts that are out of specification.
REMOVE IDLER GEAR BUSHINGS
NOTE: Bushing for "wide" 30 mm (1.18 in.) upper idler
gear is not replaceable. If bushing is worn,
replace gear assembly.
1. For "narrow" 22 mm (0.87 in.) upper idler gear bushing,
press worn bushing out of gear using 27527 Disc
Driver from D01045AA Master Driver Set and JDG537
2. For lower idler gear bushing, press worn bushing out of
22 mm (0.87 in.) Upper Idler Gear
gear using discs from D01045AA Master Driver Set
and JGD537 (OTC815 ) Handle.
Lower Idler Gear