Camshaft, Balancer Shafts and Timing Gear Train
INSTALL LOWER IDLER SHAFT IN FRONT
NOTE: Spring pin (B) is only used on later engines.
1. Install thrust washer (A) and lower idler shaft with
spring pin (B). Spring pin must extend through hole in
thrust washer and front plate.
IMPORTANT: Install thrust washer (A) with "X" mark
facing away from gear (toward plate).
2. Drive shaft into plate (C) until thrust washer is fully
INSTALL ENGINE FRONT PLATE
1. Install oil by-pass valve and spring into block.
2. If not previously done, use a brass scraper and remove
any previously applied sealant.
IMPORTANT: Be sure cylinder block and front plate
surfaces are free of oil, dirt, previously
applied sealant, and cleaning agents.
3. Wash gasket surfaces with a steam cleaner using hot
soapy water. Rinse well with plain water to remove all
soap residue from gasket surface.
Continued on next page