Camshaft, Balancer Shafts and Timing Gear Train
13. Recheck camshaft gear (A) and injection pump drive
gear timing to make sure they are correct.
CLEAN AND INSPECT TIMING GEAR COVER
4. If engine is equipped with electronic tachometer
1. Drive crankshaft front oil seal out of cover.
(magnetic pick-up) sensor, remove sensor and
O-ring. See REPLACE ELECTRONIC
2. Remove material and sealant from cylinder block
and timing gear cover gasket surfaces. If
as described earlier in this group.
necessary, remove oil filler neck and gasket and
injection pump drive gear nut cover plate and
5. Clean timing gear cover in solvent. Dry with
CAUTION: Do not spin bearings when drying
6. Inspect cover for cracks or damage. Make sure seal
with compressed air.
bore is clean and free of nicks.
3. If engine is equipped with the auxiliary drive,
remove auxiliary drive as described earlier in this