Air Intake and Exhaust System
CAUTION: After operating engine, allow exhaust
system to cool before removing turbocharger.
Thoroughly clean exterior of turbocharger and surrounding
area to prevent entry of dirt into the air intake system
IMPORTANT: When cleaning turbocharger, do not
turbine housing. If turbocharger
inspection is required, do not clean
exterior prior to removal. Doing so may
wash away evidence of a potential
failure mode. See TURBOCHARGER
SEVEN-STEP INSPECTION later in this
1. Remove air intake hose and exhaust elbow (shown
removed). Loosen hose clamp (A).
2. Disconnect oil inlet line (B) and oil return pipe (C) from
3. Remove mounting cap screws and nuts and lift
turbocharger from exhaust manifold. Remove stainless
B--Oil Inlet Line
C--Oil Return Pipe
4. Place turbocharger on a clean flat surface. Cap or plug
all air intake and exhaust openings.
5. Perform turbocharger seven-step inspection as
described later, if failure mode has not yet been
determined. See TURBOCHARGER SEVEN-STEP
INSPECTION in this Group.