Hold pressure adjusting screw stationary while tightening
lock nut. Use ROS18958 Torque Wrench Adapter on
English-type lock nuts; No. 24374 on metric-type lock
5. Tighten lift adjusting screw lock nut to specifications .
Fuel Injection Nozzle Lift Adjusting Screw Lock Nut--Specification
Torque .............................................................. 5 N·m (3.5 lb-ft) (42 lb-in.)
6. Recheck nozzle opening pressure.
If nozzle chatter is incorrect after servicing, valve parts
may be misaligned. To correct, screw pressure
adjusting screw through its range of adjustment several
times and reset valve lift. Recheck nozzle for chatter.
7. Clean nozzle with brass wire brush.
IMPORTANT: Each time an injection nozzle is
removed from the cylinder head,
replace carbon stop seal (B) with a new
1. Position JD258 (ROS16477) Pilot Tool (A) over nozzle
2. Install a new seal washer (C) onto nozzle body.
3. Position a new carbon stop seal (B) on pilot tool. Slide
B--Carbon Stop Seal
the carbon seal until it seats in its groove on nozzle
NOTE: If nozzle is not going to be installed at this time,
install a No. 16189 Nozzle Protector Cap over
nozzle tip. Plug all other openings in nozzle to