Engine System Operation and Tests
ENGINE CRANKING SPEED TEST
Cranking speed should meet or exceed specified
IMPORTANT: Make sure that batteries are fully
engine rpm for a given ambient air temperature. For
charged before performing this test.
example, at 85°F (29°C) ambient air temperature,
cranking speed should be at least 200 rpm.
1. Disable the fuel supply system at the injection
pump so fuel delivery is in the OFF position.
If cranking speed is below specifications, check the
2. If not using the machine tachometer, install a photo
tach or TIME TRAC®.
· Starting system problems ( low battery, loose or
defective wiring, defective starter, etc.).
3. Crank the engine for 15 seconds and record engine
· Excessive engine loads (hydraulic pumps/thick
oil, thick engine oil, etc.).
4. Compare recorded engine speed to chart above.
TIME TRAC is a registered trademark of Stanadyne Automative