Cylinder Head and Valves
INSPECT VALVE SPRING CAPS, WEAR
CAPS, AND RETAINER LOCKS
1. Inspect valve spring caps (A) in area where valve
springs and retaining locks seat for excessive wear.
Replace as needed.
2. Inspect retainer locks (C) for excessive wear. Replace
3. Inspect valve wear cap (B) contact surfaces. Replace
wear caps if pitted or worn.
Inspecting Valve Parts
1. Hold each valve firmly against a soft wire wheel on a
2. Make sure all carbon is removed from valve head, face
and stem. Polish valve stem with steel wool or crocus
cloth to remove scratch marks left by wire brush.
IMPORTANT: Any carbon left on valve stem will affect
alignment in refacer if valves need to be