Cylinder Head and Valves
INSTALL VALVE SEAT INSERTS
1. Use the JDE7 Driver (A) along with JDG605 Valve
Seat Installer (B) to drive inserts into place. The larger
end of JDG605 Installer is used to install intake valves
and the smaller end is used to install exhaust valves.
2. Install new or refaced valves and check valve recess.
(See MEASURE VALVE RECESS, earlier in this
3. Grind valve seats as required to maintain correct valve
recess and valve-to-seat seal. (See GRIND VALVE
SEATS, earlier in this group.)
Installing Valve Seat Inserts
INSPECT AND CLEAN CYLINDER HEAD
1. Inspect condition of threads for gland nut. Threads are
metric (M28 x 1.5).
2. Inspect condition of nozzle seating surface in cylinder
Cylinder head threads and nozzle seating surface must
be free of debris and carbon deposits.
Cleaning Cylinder Head Nozzle Bores
IMPORTANT: If the injection nozzle gland nut threads
are not clean, a false torque reading
may be obtained when the injection
nozzle is installed. This may prevent the
injection nozzle from seating properly in
the cylinder head.
3. Clean threads which have light foreign deposits using a
drill and the D17030BR Thread Cleaning Brush. Work
brush up and down several times to clean threads.
Continued on next page