REMOVE AND INSTALL TIMING GEAR COVER--ENGINE INSTALLED IN VEHICLE (8000
9. Remove front oil seal from timing gear cover and
6081HRW Engines on 8100, 8200, 8300, and 8400
tractors are equipped with front frame/oil sump. Refer
to TM1575 (8100, 8200, 8300, and 8400 Tractors--
10. Remove front wear sleeve from crankshaft flange
Repair) for access to front frame/oil sump-to-engine
and discard sleeve.
block cap screws. (For 8000T Tracks tractors, refer to
TO INSTALL TIMING GEAR COVER:
TO REMOVE TIMING GEAR COVER:
1. Thoroughly clean all timing gear cover gasket
surfaces and front oil seal bore.
1. Remove viscous fan drive, drive housing, and
coupler. (Refer to TM1575.)
NOTE: Front wear sleeve can be installed with timing
gear cover removed or installed.
2. Remove crankshaft vibration damper as detailed
earlier in this group.
2. Install a new front wear sleeve on crankshaft flange
3. Disconnect water piping and remove water pump
(See INSTALL FRONT WEAR SLEEVE, later in this
cover with water bypass tube. Remove and discard
3. Install timing gear cover (See INSTALL
4. Back out all front frame/oil sump-to-engine block
CRANKSHAFT FRONT OIL SEAL WITH TIMING
cap screws 9.5 mm (3.8 in.).
GEAR COVER INSTALLED ON ENGINE, later in
5. Disconnect engine speed sensor connector from
4. Install front oil seal (See INSTALL CRANKSHAFT
FRONT OIL SEAL WITH TIMING GEAR COVER
6. Remove injection pump drive gear cover.
INSTALLED ON ENGINE, later in this group).
7. Slowly lift engine block assembly approximately
5. Install vibration damper (See INSTALL VIBRATION
6.4 mm (0.25 in.) using safety approved lifting
DAMPER, later in this group).
6. Tighten front frame/oil sump cap screws as detailed
IMPORTANT: The timing gear cover must not be
in Group 20, Lubrication System of this manual
"dragged" horizontally while in
(See TIGHTEN CAP SCREWS ON FRONT
contact with front frame/oil sump
FRAME/OIL SUMP) or TM1575.
gasket. Doing so may damage
gasket sealing bead.
7. Complete final assembly as outlined in TM1575.
8. Remove remaining cap screws and carefully
remove timing gear cover with water pump.
Remove and discard timing gear cover gasket.