REPLACE CRANKSHAFT GEAR
NOTE: Remove crankshaft gear for replacement only; it is
not necessary to remove gear for crankshaft
1. Install JDG787 Thread Protector in nose of crankshaft.
2. Protect crankshaft wear sleeve surface with masking
3. Remove crankshaft gear using D01251AA1 Puller or an
4. Discard gear after removal.
5. Remove Woodruff key from crankshaft keyway.
6. Remove masking tape.
CAUTION: Oil fumes or oil can ignite above
193°C (380°F). Use a thermometer and do not
exceed 182°C (360°F). Do not allow a heating
element to be in direct contact with the oil. Heat
the oil in a well-ventilated area. Plan a safe
handling procedure to avoid burns.
IMPORTANT: Crankshaft gear must be installed on
crankshaft before crankshaft is installed
in engine, otherwise damage to thrust
If flame heat is used, be sure gear is
heated uniformly around circumference.
DO NOT OVERHEAT. See CAUTION.
Overheating may also destroy original
heat treatment of gear.
7. Heat crankshaft gear (if removed) to 148°C (300°F),
using either heated oil or oven heat.
8. Install Woodruff key in crankshaft.
Part of D01047AA 17-1/2 and 30-Ton Puller Set.
Continued on next page