IMPORTANT: If new main or thrust bearing inserts or
thrust washers are installed, they must
be installed as a matched set.
During assembly, apply a liberal coating of clean engine
· All main bearing webs in block
· Both sides of main bearing inserts and thrust bearing
· Entire O.D. of crankshaft main bearing journal
1. Install six main bearing inserts in block except No. 5
No. 5 Main Thrust Bearing Assembly
thrust bearing insert. Be sure locating tabs on inserts
A--Lower Rear Thrust Washer
are properly positioned with slot in block web.
B--Upper Rear Thrust Washer
C--Lower Front Thrust Washer
IMPORTANT: Thrust washers (A, C) go on both sides
D--Main Bearing Block Thrust Bearing
of bearing cap. Thrust washer (B) goes
E--Main Bearing Cap Thrust Bearing
on rear side of block web only with the
slots facing the crankshaft.
2. Install No. 5 main thrust bearing insert (D) in block.
Install upper thrust washer on bearing insert at rear of
block web. Be sure tangs on washer are properly
positioned on thrust bearing insert.
3. Check to make sure that oil holes in main bearing web
are properly aligned with oil holes in bearing inserts.
Continued on next page