Camshaft and Timing Gear Train
REMOVE VIBRATION DAMPER AND TIMING
For timing cover removal procedure with engine installed
in vehicle (8000 Tractors), refer to REMOVE AND
INSTALL TIMING GEAR COVER--ENGINE INSTALLED
IN VEHICLE, in Group 15.
1. Drain oil (if not previously done), and remove oil pan.
Remove oil pump if crankshaft is to be removed.
2. Remove cap screw and washer on damper pulley.
Install JDG787 Thread Protector in nose of crankshaft.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT use a jaw-type puller to remove
vibration damper. Damage could result
Removing Crankshaft Vibration Damper
to the damper. Never apply thrust on
outer ring of damper. Do not drop
damper or strike with a hammer.
3. Remove damper from crankshaft using JDG721 Hub
NOTE: D01207AA (OTC518) Puller Set (not shown) may
also be used to remove damper.
4. Disconnect speed sensor wiring connector (C, shown
disconnected) and remove injection pump drive gear
5. Check camshaft end play. (See CHECK CAMSHAFT
END PLAY earlier in this group.)
IMPORTANT: Whenever timing gear cover is
removed, ALWAYS install a new front
Removing Timing Gear Cover
oil seal and wear sleeve.
6. Remove water pump cover (A). Remove all remaining
cap screws and remove timing gear cover.
7. Remove front oil seal from timing gear cover. Install a
new seal after timing gear cover is installed. See
INSTALL FRONT OIL SEAL (WITH TIMING GEAR
COVER INSTALLED ON ENINGE) in Group 15.
8. Remove crankshaft front wear sleeve. (See Group 15.)