Camshaft and Timing Gear Train
IMPORTANT: Set engine at TDC of No. 1 piston's
compression stroke before installing
camshaft so timing marks on camshaft
and crankshaft gears will be aligned.
1. If camshaft followers were removed with engine on a
rollover stand, reinstall followers but do not obstruct
camshaft bore. Roll engine to an angle where followers
fall away from camshaft bores.
NOTE: If D15001NU Magnetic Holding Tool Set is used,
hold camshaft followers away from camshaft bore
until camshaft is installed.
2. Lubricate thrust washer (A) with TY6333 or TY6347
Camshaft Thrust Washer
High Temperature Grease and install on camshaft
behind inner gear.
3. Lubricate camshaft lobes with TY6333 or TY6347 High
Temperature Grease and bearing journals with clean
4. Carefully install camshaft in cylinder block so that
camshaft lobes do not drag in bores. Rotate camshaft
during installation to avoid obstruction in any bore.
5. With No. 1 piston on "TDC" compression, align timing
marks (A) on camshaft and crankshaft gears. Check
injection pump timing. (See Group 35.)
Timing Marks--Camshaft and Crankshaft Gears