Air Intake and Exhaust System
CAUTION: After operating engine, allow exhaust
system to cool before removing turbocharger.
IMPORTANT: When cleaning turbocharger, do not
turbine housing. If turbocharger
inspection is required, do not clean
exterior prior to removal. Doing so may
wash away evidence of a potential
failure mode. (See TURBOCHARGER
SEVEN-STEP INSPECTION later in this
Thoroughly clean exterior of turbocharger and surrounding
area to prevent entry of dirt into the air intake system
1. Disconnect air intake and exhaust piping from
turbocharger (shown disconnected).
2. Disconnect turbocharger oil inlet line (A) from elbow
3. Disconnect turbocharger oil return (drain) tube (B).
Remove and discard gasket.
4. If equipped, disconnect wastegate diaphragm hose.
5. Remove four turbocharger mounting cap screws with
washers securing turbocharger to rear exhaust
manifold and remove turbocharger.
6. Cap or plug all openings on engine (exhaust and
intake manifold related) and place turbocharger on a
clean flat table for inspection.
7. Perform turbocharger seven-step inspection, as
described later, if failure mode has not been