· Starting fluid contains ethyl ether and is extremely flammable. Do not smoke when replacing
starting fluid cylinder. No smoking, flames, sparks, or glowing or hot objects are allowed within
50 ft. (15 m) of vehicle. Fire or explosion may cause personal injury or death.
· Starting fluid contains ethyl ether and is TOXIC. It can be harmful or fatal if swallowed. Avoid
contact with skin or eyes, or breathing fumes. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area. To
prevent possible injury, wear gloves and protective eye equipment when handling starting fluid
cylinder. If fluid enters the eyes or if fumes irritate the eyes, they should be washed with large
quantities of clean water for 15 minutes. A physician, preferably an eye specialist, must be
contacted. If swallowed, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Call a physician immediately. Failure to
comply may result in injury or death to personnel.
· Contents of starting fluid cylinder are under pressure. Store in a cool dry area. Do not incinerate,
puncture, or attempt to remove cores from cylinder. Failure to comply may result in injury or death
Remove starting fluid cylinder (2) from valve
assembly (3) by turning cylinder
If necessary, test starting fluid cylinder (2) per
Step b to determine if it is empty.
· A full starting fluid cylinder weighs 33 oz.
(935 g); an empty starting fluid cylinder
weighs 15 oz. (425 g).
· A typical starting fluid cylinder will last
approximately one year under average use.
· Dispose of used starting fluid cylinders in
accordance with Unit SOP.
Weigh starting fluid cylinder (2). Replace starting
fluid cylinder if it weighs less than 16 oz. (450 g).
Coat threads of starting fluid cylinder (2) with clean oil.
Do not overtighten cylinder. Failure to comply will result in damage to equipment.
Install starting fluid cylinder (2) on valve assembly (3) by turning cylinder clockwise until it bottoms out.
Tighten cylinder clamp (1).