B3.9 and B5.9 Series Engines
Starter Magnetic Switch (013-017)
Section 13 - Electrical Equipment - Group 13
· Connect one multimeter lead to the magnetic switch
terminal marked ``S'' and the other lead to the
· Turn the starting motor switch to the START position.
· If the multimeter indicates no voltage, the magnetic
switch is not the cause of the complaint.
· If the multimeter indicates voltage, the magnetic
switch is defective and must be replaced.
· Turn the starting motor switch to the OFF position.
· Remove the multimeter leads, and connect the mag-
netic switch to the starting motor solenoid wire.
Be sure the starter motor switch is in the OFF position
to avoid personal injury from electrical shock.
Digital Multimeter, Part No. 3377161
Remove the cable connecting the magnetic switch to the
starter motor solenoid from the magnetic switch terminal.
Connect the leads of the digital multimeter, Part No.
3377161, or equivalent, to the two large switch terminals.
Set the digital multimeter, Part No. 3377161, to measure
Connect the leads to the two large switch terminals.
With the starter motor switch in the OFF position, the
Turn the starter motor switch to the START position.
The multimeter must indicate less than 10 ohms. If not
within specifications, replace the starter magnetic switch
according to the manufacturer's instructions.