Engine Rebuild Guide
ENGINE ASSEMBLY SEQUENCE
15. Install timing gear cover. Install new front seal.
The following assembly sequence is suggested when
engine has been completely disassembled. Be sure to
check run-out specifications, clearance tolerances,
16. Install oil pan. (Group 20)
torques, etc. as engine is assembled. Refer to the
appropriate repair group when assembling engine
17. Install oil pressure regulating valve. (Group 20)
18. Install cam followers in same order as removed.
1. Install all plugs and serial number plate in cylinder
block (if removed). (Groups 10 and 15)
19. Install cylinder head gasket, cylinder head, push
2. Install piston cooling orifices. (Group 10)
rods, and rocker arm assembly. (Group 05)
3. Install new balancer shaft bushings (4045 engines)
20. Install starting motor. (Group 40)
and a new camshaft bushing. (Group 16)
21. Install injection nozzles (with new seals) and
4. Install cylinder liners without O-rings. Measure liner
injection lines. (Group 35)
height. Install liners with O-rings. (Group 10)
22. Install fuel filter, fuel supply pump, and fuel lines.
5. Install main bearings and crankshaft.
23. Install oil cooler, new oil filter, and dipstick. (Group
6. Install flywheel housing, rear oil seal, and flywheel.
24. Install water manifold or thermostat housing and
7. Install pistons and rods. Measure piston protrusion.
thermostats. (Group 25)
25. Install exhaust manifold and turbocharger. Prelube
8. Install oil by-pass valve. (Group 20)
the turbocharger. (Group 30)
9. Install front plate. (Group 16)
26. Install water pump and houses. (Group 25)
10. Install balancer shafts (4045 engines). Check end
27. Install crankshaft pulley or vibration damper.
play. (Group 16)
11. Install oil outlet tube, O-ring in block, and oil
pump. (Group 20)
29. Install belt tensioner, fan, and fan belts. (Group
12. Install injection pump. (Group 35)
13. Install camshaft and timing gears. (Group 16)
14. Time all gears with No. 1 cylinder at TDC
PLASTIGAGE is a registered trademark of the DANA Corp.
Continued on next page