Camshaft, Balancer Shafts and Timing Gear Train
REMOVE AND INSTALL BALANCER SHAFT
BUSHINGS (4-CYLINDER ENGINES)
IMPORTANT: Cylinder block front plate must be
removed in order to replace balancer
1. Remove all fuel lines from injection or rotary pump.
2. Remove front plate. See REMOVE CYLINDER BLOCK
FRONT PLATE, later in this group.
3. Remove bushings from block with JD249 Balancer
Shaft Bushing Driver and JDG963 Adapter. To remove
the rear (third) bushing, the flywheel housing must be
IMPORTANT: Make sure oil holes in bushing and
block are aligned for proper bushing
and journal lubrication.
4. Install new bushings in block with same tools used
5. Insert balancer shaft to check for bushing-to-shaft
clearance. If shaft can be rotated by hand with a
slight-to-moderate drag, adequate bushing-to-balancer
shaft clearance exists. It is not necessary to hone
bushings to obtain specified oil clearance. Excessive
clearance can result in shaft seizure.
INSPECT BALANCER SHAFT GEARS AND
1. Inspect for broken, cracked or excessively worn gears.
NOTE: Gear removal is required for thrust plate removal.
Continued on next page