Engine System Operation and Tests
TEST COOLING SYSTEM:
CAUTION: Explosive released fluids from
pressurized cooling system can cause
NOTE: Engine should be warmed up to test overall
Shut off engine. Only remove filler cap when
1. Allow engine to cool, then carefully remove radiator
cool enough to touch with bare hands.
Slowly loosen cap to first stop to relieve
pressure before removing completely.
2. Fill radiator with coolant to the normal operating
TEST RADIATOR CAP:
IMPORTANT: DO NOT apply excessive pressure to
1. Remove radiator cap and attach to D05104ST
cooling system, doing so may
Pressure Pump as shown.
damage radiator and hoses.
2. Pressurize cap to the following specification:1.
3. Connect gauge and adapter to radiator filler neck.
Pressurize cooling system to 70 kPa (0.7 bar) (10
psi)1, using D05104ST Pressure Pump.
Test Pressure .............................................. 70 kPa (0.7 bar) (10 psi)
4. With pressure applied, check all cooling system
Gauge should hold pressure for 10 seconds within the
hose connections, radiator, and overall engine for
normal range if cap is acceptable.If gauge does not
hold pressure, replace radiator cap.
If leakage is detected, correct as necessary and
3. Remove the cap from gauge, turn it 180, and
pressure test system again.
retest cap. This will verify that the first
measurement was accurate.
Test pressures recommended are for all Deere OEM cooling
systems. On specific vehicle applications, test cooling system and
pressure cap according to the recommended pressure for that
Continued on next page