Cylinder Block, Liners, Pistons and Rods
NOTE: Always follow manufacturer's directions provided
with ridge reamer.
6. Remove carbon from liner bore with a scraper or ridge
reamer (A). Use compressed air to remove loose
material from cylinders.
7. Remove oil pan, oil pump, and outlet tube. (See Group
8. Mark rods, pistons, and caps to insure correct
assembly in same location.
IMPORTANT: Keep inserts with their respective caps
for rod and main bearings.
9. Remove all rod caps (A) with bearings.
10. Measure rod bearing-to-journal oil clearance with
PLASTIGAGE® before removing piston and rod
assembly. Record measurements. (See INSPECT
later in this group.)
NOTE: Use PLASTIGAGE® as directed by the
manufacturer. PLASTIGAGE® will determine
bearing-to-journal oil clearance, but will not
indicate the condition of either surface.
PLASTIGAGE is a registered trademark of the DANA Corp.
Continued on next page