Camshaft and Timing Gear Train
INSTALL THRUST WASHER AND TIMING
1. Lubrication thrust washer (bold arrow) with TY6333 or
TY6347 High Temperature Grease and install in timing
gear cover (A) tabs.
2. Install a new gasket on engine block. Apply a light film
of grease to the gasket to hold it in place.
IMPORTANT: Tightening the timing gear cover cap
screws in proper sequence controls the
total runout of the crankshaft
flange-to-oil seal bore.
On engines with auxiliary front drives,
tighten those adapter cap screws
BEFORE tightening the timing cover
Thrust Washer in Timing Gear Cover
screws. (See earlier in this group.)
3. Install timing gear cover. Tighten cap screws one
through six to 27 N·m (20 lb-ft).
4. Install water pump and cover assembly (C) using a
new gasket. Tighten 5/16-in. cap screws to 27 N·m (20
lb-ft) and 3/8-in. cap screws to 47 N·m (35 lb-ft).
5. Check camshaft endplay. (See CHECK CAMSHAFT
END PLAY earlier in this group.)
6. Install injection pump drive gear cover using a new
gasket and tighten cap screws to 27 N·m (20 lb-ft).
7. Trim timing gear cover gasket flush with oil pan gasket
1-6 - Sequence for Tightening Cover Cap Screws