Cylinder Block, Liners, Pistons, and Rods
9. Apply clean engine oil to bearing inserts (B) and
crankshaft rod journals (A).
IMPORTANT: NEVER use connecting rod cap screws
more than once for final engine
assembly. Once rod cap screws have
been tightened, they cannot be reused
for final assembly.
10. Install connecting rod caps.
Installing Connecting Rod Caps with Bearing Inserts
11. Dip NEW cap screws and washers in clean engine
oil. Make sure top of cap screws have oil on them
IMPORTANT: DO NOT use pneumatic wrenches to
install connecting rod cap screws.
Doing so may damaged threads.
12. Initially, tighten (blind hole) cap screw (A) to 27 Nm
(20 lb-ft) before tightening the other (open hole) cap
Blind-Hole Cap Screw in Rod Cap
13. Secondly, tighten all cap screws to 75 Nm (55 lb-ft).
14. Finally TORQUE-TURN all cap screws 90-100. (See
TORQUE-TURN CONNECTING ROD CAP
SCREWS, described next in this group.)