Engine Rebuild, Break-In, and Tune-Up
6081 ENGINE ASSEMBLY SEQUENCE AFTER OVERHAUL
10. Install fuel injection pump and drive gear.
The following assembly sequence is suggested when
engine has been completely disassembled. Be sure to
11. Install engine oil cooler assembly.
check run-out specifications, clearance tolerances,
torques, etc. as engine is assembled. Refer to the
12. Install filter base, valve housing, and new oil filter.
appropriate repair group when assembling engine
13. Install engine flywheel and housing, if applicable:
1. Install all plugs in cylinder block that were removed
· SAE 3: Flywheel goes on before housing.
to service block. Install engine serial number plate.
· SAE 1 and SAE 2: Housing goes on before
2. Install piston cooling orifices.
14. Install cylinder head, push rods, and rocker arm
3. Install cylinder liners without O-rings and measure
assembly. Measure valve lift and adjust valve
liner stand-out. Install liner O-rings in block and
packings on liners. Install liners.
NOTE: If new piston and liner kit assemblies are being
15. Install rocker arm cover. Install breather hose.
installed, install the crankshaft first.
16. Install front and rear exhaust manifolds.
4. Install main bearings and crankshaft. Rotate
17. Install air intake manifold.
crankshaft to assure correct assembly. Check
crankshaft end play.
18. Install timing gear cover. Install front crankshaft
NOTE: ALWAYS bolt liners down before rotating
wear sleeve and oil seal.
engine with cylinder head removed.
19. Install water pump assembly and water manifold.
If installing new piston/liner kits, assembly kits onto
20. Install turbocharger. Install turbocharger oil inlet
the respective connecting rods using NEW snap
line and oil return line.
rings. Bolt liners down as each kit is installed.
21. Install fuel injection nozzles and delivery line
5. Install piston and rod assemblies. Bolt liners down
after each piston assembly is installed.
22. Install fuel filter base, supply lines, and filter.
6. Install engine oil pump assembly.
23. Install front pulley and damper as an assembly.
7. Install crankshaft rear oil seal housing and check
runout. Install rear oil seal and wear sleeve.
24. Install fan pulley assembly. Install starting motor.
8. Install cam followers in hole from which originally
25. Fill engine with clean oil and the proper coolant.
9. Install camshaft. Align timing marks
(camshaft-to-crankshaft gears) with No. 1 piston at
Continued on next page