With the aid of an assistant, install brake drum.
Install and secure brake drum retaining setscrews to a torque of 72-80 lbf/ft (98-109 Nm).
Adjust brakes per procedure provided.
To avoid the possibility of the vehicle falling off the safety stands, ensure wheels on other axle are
chocked front and rear.
The procedure to adjust the brakes is carried out to each axle in turn.
Jack axle until wheels are clear of ground and fit safety stands (Para 2-21).
Ensure secondary air system is at full operating pressure of 1.15-1.17 psi (7.9-8.1 kPa).
Ensure spring brake chamber release tool has been removed from rear of chamber and is in stowed position.
Listen for any air leaks.
Ensure hub rotates freely.
Push in tapered locking collar that locks slack adjuster adjusting bolt.
Using a 9/16-in. wrench, rotate bolt hex head until it becomes fully tight.
Ensure hub will not rotate.
Ensure tapered locking collar has locked over flats on hex head.
(10) With wrench at 12-o'clock position, push in tapered locking collar and rotate bolt hex head in opposite direction by
a quarter turn, visually ensuring S-cam rotates as you back off adjustment.
(11) Rotate hub by hand and feel drag. There should only be very slight drag felt when adjustment is correct.
(12) If there is excessive or insufficient drag felt by hand, carry out Steps (7) through (11) by rotating slack adjuster
adjustment bolt by increments of one flat at a time until correct adjustment is achieved.
(13) Carry out adjustment procedure for other wheel on axle.
(14) Upon completion, apply parking brake, jack axle, remove safety stands, and lower axle to ground (Para 2-21).
Each brake must be individually adjusted.
(15) Carry out procedure for other axle.
(16) Test brakes per procedure provided.