INSPECT AND CLEAN CYLINDER HEAD
1. Inspect condition of threads for gland nut. Threads are
metric (M28 x 1.5).
2. Inspect condition of nozzle seating in cylinder head.
Cylinder head threads and nozzle seating surface must
be free of debris and carbon deposits.
IMPORTANT: If injection nozzle gland nut threads are
Cleaning Nozzle Bores in Cylinder Head
not clean, a false torque wrench reading
may be obtained when injection nozzle
is installed. This may prevent injection
nozzle from seating properly in cylinder
3. Clean threads which have light foreign deposits using
an electric drill and D17030BR Thread Cleaning Brush.
Work brush up and down several times to clean
4. Clean threads with heavy foreign deposits or clean up
damaged threads by using JDF5 Tap (M28 X 1.5 mm).
Be sure to start tap straight to avoid possible
cross-threading. A light coat of grease on tap will help
collect foreign deposits on tap and prevent them from
falling into nozzle bore.
5. After cleaning threads, insert a 13 mm (1/2 in.) tapered
hardwood dowel to plug nozzle tip bore.
6. Blow out debris from nozzle cavity with compressed
air; then remove wood dowel.
Using Tap to Clean Threads in Nozzle Bores