INSTALL CRANKSHAFT GEAR
IMPORTANT: If flame heat is used, be sure gear is
heated uniformly around circumference.
DO NOT OVERHEAT. SEE CAUTION.
Overheating may also destroy original
heat treatment of gear.
CAUTION: Oil fumes or oil can ignite above
193C (380F). Use a thermometer and do not
exceed 182C (360F). Do not allow a heating
element to be in direct contact with the oil. Heat
the oil in a well-ventilated area. Plan a safe
handling procedure to avoid burns.
1. Heat crankshaft gear to 148C (300F) using either
heated oil or oven heat.
2. Install JDG954-2 Adapter (A) on nose of crankshaft.
Tighten cap screws securely.
IMPORTANT: When installing gear, do not gouge or
nick crankshaft flange or wear sleeve.
NOTE: Chamfered side of gear should be installed toward
3. Place gear on crankshaft flange. Be sure Woodruff key
(B) on crankshaft is properly aligned with keyway in
4. Install JDG954-1 Installer (C) over adapter.
5. Tighten nut clockwise until gear firmly seats against
crankshaft flange. Allow gear to cool before removing
6. Refer to appropriate group to complete final assembly
of parts removed to access crankshaft gear.