IMPORTANT: Alignment and installation tools must
be clean to hold runout within
specification and to assure proper
positioning on crankshaft flange so oil
seal does not fail prematurely.
3. Slip the JDG796 Alignment Tool (A) over crankshaft
flange and into seal housing bore to center oil seal
The tool is designed to center the oil seal housing in
relation to crankshaft flange. However, measuring the
Centering Rear Oil Seal Housing
seal housing runout after installation with a magnetic
base dial indicator is recommended. Runout should not
exceed 0.15 mm (0.006 in.).
4. Position bottom of oil seal housing so it is recessed
0.000--0.050 mm (0.000--0.002 in.) inside cylinder
block-oil pan rail. Tighten seal housing cap screws to
27 Nm (20 lb-ft), using sequence shown in bottom
illustration, beginning with cap screw No. 1.
5. Remove alignment tool from end of crankshaft flange.
6. Check oil seal housing runout with a magnetic base
Cap Screw Tightening Sequence for Rear Oil Seal Housing
dial indicator. (See CHECK OIL SEAL HOUSING
RUNOUT, later in this group.)
7. Trim off excess gasket material extending below
bottom of oil seal housing.