INSTALL TIMING GEAR COVER
IMPORTANT: Tightening the timing gear cover (A)
cap screws one through six in
numerical sequence controls the total
runout of the crankshaft flange-to-oil
On engines with auxiliary front drive,
tighten those cap screws (Group 16)
before tightening timing cover screws.
1. Lubricate thrust washer (bold arrow) with TY6333 or
TY6347 High Temperature Grease and install in timing
gear cover tabs.
2. Install a new gasket on engine block. Apply a light film
of grease to the gasket to hold it in place.
Thrust Washer in Timing Gear Cover
3. Install timing gear cover. Tighten cap screws one
through six to 27 Nm (20 lb-ft) in numerical sequence,
4. Install injection pump drive gear cover (B) using a new
gasket and tighten cap screws to 27 Nm (20 lb-ft).
5. Install water pump cover using a new gasket. Tighten
5/16-in. cap screws to 27 Nm (20 lb-ft) and 3/8-in. cap
screws to 47 Nm (35 lb-ft).
6. Trim timing gear cover gasket flush with oil pan gasket
7. Using a new O-ring, install magnetic speed sensor in
timing gear cover, if removed.
8. Install crankshaft front wear sleeve and oil seal. (See
INSTALL CRANK SHAFT FRONT OIL SEAL, later in
1-6 Tightening Sequence for Cover Cap Screws